Fascinating Facts About Popcorn
1. The world consumes more than 17 billion quarts of popped popcorn a year.
2. The scientific name for popcorn is Zea Mays Everta, which is a type of maize (corn).
3. Maize is the 2nd largest crop farmed in the world, and the largest in the U.S.
4. On average, a kernel will pop when it reaches 374° F.
5. Kernels need between 13.5% to 14% moisture to pop.
6. There's 6 main types of maize, but only popcorn pops.
7. Popcorn existed as early as 4700 B.C. in Peru.
8. The oldest ear of popcorn was found in a bat cave in Mexico in 1948. It is believed to be over 5,000 years old.
9. A 1,000 year old kernel was found in a cave in Utah.
10. Microwave popcorn was invented merely by accident by Percy Spencer.